The Mangapwani Slave Chamber is about 20 Kilometers North of Stone Town . Zanzibar Slave Chambers that built around 1880 from the cave and connected to the seaside 2kms away. It was an important transit point for the captured slaves to be sold to the outside world at the time of the abolishment of slavery in 1873 especial in the Middle East Between 1880 - 1905, the Slave Chamber was being used as a place of concealment of the human cargo pending their disposal. The Slave Chamber is a square underground cell that was cut out of the coralline rock, with a roof on top. The area is surrounded by varieties of indigenous trees such as Breadfruit, Rambotans and scent shrubs. The chamber was originally built by Mohammed Bin Nassor Al-Alwi, a prosperous slave trader, to store his slaves. Boats from Bagamoyo on the Tanzania Mainland would unload their human cargo on a secluded beach, separated from the main Mangapwani Beach by coral-rock outcrops. The dirt path from the beach to the Slave Chamber still exists today

The Persian Baths at Kidichi are located northeast of Stone Town, about 4 kilometers inland from the main coast road, in the main plantation area of the island. They were built in 1850 by Sultan Said who owned land nearby. He and his second wife, Bint Irich Mirza (also called Schesade or Sherazade), would come here for hunting excursions and to oversee the work on their plantations. The bath-house was built so they could refresh themselves after the journey from town. Because Schesade was granddaughter to the Shah of Persia, the baths were built in the typical Persian style of the time, with significant decorative stucco work and an underground furnace to keep the bath water warm. Unfortunately, the bath-house has not been well maintained, and mould grows on much of the beautiful stucco work. The domed ceiling contains a circle of small windows that used to be stained glass and would cast beautiful light patterns over the white walls. Today, you can enter the bath-house, and see the changing room, bathing pool and massage tables.

David Livingstone is probably the best-known of all the 19th century European explorers in Africa. Many of his journeys began and ended in Zanzibar, and he lived in this house before departing on his final journey to identify the source of the Nile. The house was built around 1860 by Sultan Majid and is located on the northeast side of Stone Town. It was used by Livingstone and other missionaries and explorers such as Burton, Speke, Cameron and Stanley as a starting point for expeditions into eastern and central Africa during the second half of the 19th century. In the early 20th century, the house was used by members of the island's Indian community for a variety of purposes. In 1947, it was bought by the colonial government and became a scientific laboratory for research into clove diseases. After independence and the revolution it became the Zanzibar headquarters of the Tanzania Friendship Tourist Bureau and then the main office of the Zanzibar Tourist Corporation (ZTC). Today, this old building is now the headquarters of Zanzibar National Chamber of Commerce, Industries and Agricultures (ZNCCIA).

The Kizimkazi Mosque is believed to be the oldest Islamic building on the East African Coast, and it is still in use today. It is located on the southern tip of the main island of Zanzibar in the village of Kizimkazi – Dimbani. According to the record, it was built in 1107 under the order of Sheikh Said bin Abi Amran Mfaume al Hassan bin Muhammad by settlers from Shiraz, Iran. However, another inscription tells of a major rebuilding of the mosque in 1772-1773. Although much of the coral detailing and column shafts date from the original construction in the twelfth century, the majority of the current structure is from the rebuild in the 18th century. More recently, the east wall of the mosque has been reconstructed and the roof of the mosque has been replaced with one of corrugated metal. Around the mosque are several seventeenth century tombs decorated with pillars, one of which notes Sheikh Ali bin Omar, a man with one arm and one leg.

Is an important historical building located in the Baghani area of Stone Town, Zanzibar. It was built by French missionaries between 1893 and 1898, and the plans were drawn by the same French architect who designed the cathedral in Marseilles, France. The defining characteristic of the cathedral are its twin spires (similar to those of Marseille’s church) which are prominent elements of the Stone Town’s skyline and can be easily spotted from a distance off the coast. The cathedral interior is painted with murals from the Old Testament. The tiles and stained glass windows were all imported from France. The cathedral is in regular use by Stone Town’s Catholic community. There are several masses held each Sunday and occasionally on weekdays.

Page 1 of 2